|Start Date:||Duration:||Level:||Study mode:||Course location:||Course Type:|
|September||1 Year||3||Full-Time||Ashington Main Campus||Full-time Vocational|
This two year course aims to enhance skills, knowledge and understanding of the sports, fitness and leisure industry to produce the next generation of Sports Coaches, Sports Development Officers, Physical Education Teachers and leisure industry experts in the North East and beyond. There will be opportunities to participate in competitive sports, including football. We also have strong vocational links within the community and employers for work experience and volunteering opportunities.
X4 GCSEs (grade 4 or above), including Maths and/or English.
|Study level||Cost||Additional fees|
|19+||please enquire||You will need to provide your own stationery and you will be given the opportunity to take part in trips and visits. There will be a kit available for purchase, a grant may be available to cover the costs.|
You can study over one or two years. There is a mix of theory and practical assessment, both in the classroom and leisure centre / in a gym facility. Students will create a portfolio of evidence that is internally assessed and externally quality assured.
UCAS points awarded for this qualification are as follows:
- Year 1: P – 16, M – 32, D – 48, D* - 56
- Year 2: P – 48, M – 96, D – 144, D* - 168
English and maths are essential life skills that will help you to achieve your best in your studies and progress to your chosen career. If you have not already achieved grade 9-4 in GCSE Maths and/ or English at school, this will become a mandatory part of your study.
Work experience and Volunteering opportunities.
Whilst completing these qualifications, students may develop the knowledge, understanding and essential skills employers look for in employees. These range from familiar ‘key skills’ - such as team working, independent learning and problem solving - to skills such as:
- An appreciation for appropriate behaviour and dress.
- Appropriate interpersonal skills.
- Communicating with professional colleagues/peers and/or hierarchical seniors.
- Supporting other aspiring employees.
- Personal manners.
- Understanding work practices and how different roles and departments function within an organisation.
All of the above is supported by carrying out volunteering and work experience with employers and settings in the community.
Days and times of study are subject to change. Timetables are confirmed at the start of term
This study programme presents young people with aspirations of becoming employed in a sports vocation. The course offers a fantastic opportunity to learn from industry specialists and identify their pathway into a life-long career.
This qualification will:
- Allow learners to gain an in-depth understanding of the sport, leisure and physical activity sector.
- Provide opportunities to acquire a number of theoretical, practical and technical skills.
- Give learners the opportunity to investigate career opportunities and progression routes in the sport and leisure industry.
- Allow learners to choose content which relates to their own interests, aspirations and progression choices.
- Work alongside key industry links such as Active Northumberland, Ashington and Coquet School Games Partnership and Events of the North to enhance employability skills.
Anatomy and Physiology
Exercise, Health and Lifestyle
Analysis of Sport Performance
Preparing for a Career in Sport and Physical Activity
Exercise for Specific Groups
Progression Routes –
– Higher Education or Foundation Degree
– Sports Coaching and Development
– Fitness and Leisure Industry
We are the largest further education provider in Northumberland with campuses throughout the county.
Our student transport scheme is available for eligible students to make getting to and from college as easy as possible.
Our extensive re-development programme will create outstanding new facilities.