You will be required to have achieved five GCSEs at grade 4 or above as a minimum, including Maths or English.
This two year programme is the equivalent of three A-Levels and is recognised by universities and employers.
There is a mix of theory and practical assessment, both in the classroom and in a leisure centre/gym facility.
Students will create a portfolio of evidence that is internally assessed and externally quality assured. You will be assessed in a variety of different ways, including:
- Report writing
- Practical observation
- Professional discussions
There are no exams to sit for this course.
You will be expected to have a grade 4 or higher in Maths and/or English. If you have lower than a grade 4, you will be required to resit alongside your sports programme.
This course has been designed with employers to make sure that you develop the knowledge, skills and behaviours required to become part of the future workforce.
You will have the opportunity to visit employers, take part in master classes and guest sessions, as well as completing a 1-2 week work experience for a job role of your choice.
We have excellent links with local employers, such as Active Northumberland.
The course will run for approximately 3-4 days per week.
This study programme if aimed at young people with aspirations of becoming employed in a sports vocation. The course offers a fantastic opportunity to learn from industry specialists and identify their pathway into a life-long career.
This qualification will:
- Allow learners to gain an in-depth understanding of the sport, leisure and physical activity sector
- Provide opportunities to acquire a number of theoretical, practical and technical skills
- Give learners the opportunity to investigate career opportunities and progression routes in the sport and leisure industry
- Allow learners to choose content which relates to their own interests, aspirations and progression choices
- Work alongside key industry links such as Active Northumberland, Ashington and Coquet School Games Partnership, and Events of the North to enhance employability skills
As part of this course you will study 18 units over two years
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Fitness Testing
-Assessing Risk in Sport
- Sports Injuries
- Sports Psychology
- Practical Performance
- Exercise, Health and Lifestyle
- Work Experience
- Fitness Training
- Analysis of Sport Performance
- Applied Physiology
- Preparing for a Career in Sport and Physical Activity
- Research Project
- Exercise for Specific Groups- special populations
+ 2 others of choice
Progression routes can include a – Higher Education course or foundation degree, or alternatively, gaining employment in areas such as sports coaching and development or the fitness and leisure industry.
We are the largest further education provider in Northumberland with campuses throughout the county.
Our student transport scheme is available for eligible students to make getting to and from college as easy as possible.
Our extensive re-development programme will create outstanding new facilities.