The qualification is awarded by Vetskill and is the formal route for those wishing to qualify as a Veterinary Nurse registered with the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS). Successful completion of this qualification will enable learners to complete their enrolment with the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) and practice as a fully registered Veterinary Nurse. This course is only available to students who are working, or on an apprentice in a veterinary training practice.
This course will provide student with the practical competence and underpinning knowledge required to join the RCVS Register of Veterinary Nurses. It has been designed to develop Veterinary Nurses that have a holistic approach to their work, a passion for making a difference to the lives of animal and a solid understanding of their professional responsibilities. It covers the following species:
- GCSE Grades 4-9, (A -C) in Maths, English Language and a Science, or alternatives such as a Level 2 Functional Skills in Maths or English.
- A veterinary training practice placement as a student Veterinary Nurse
- Meet RCVS fitness to practice guidance
- The student must already be in employment at a veterinary practice
The course is made up of theory exams and theoretical and practical assessments. Much of your practical evidence will be completed in practice. You will have practical final assessments to complete which will then allow you to become a registered Veterinary Nurse.
A minimum of five GCSEs at grades 9-4 ( A*-C) are required, including English Language, Mathematics and a Science subject.
You must have a position as a student veterinary in an approved training practice as either an apprentice or employee
This qualification will provide you with the practical competence and the underpinning knowledge required to join the RCVS register of Veterinary Nurses as a fully qualified Veterinary Nurse.
You will study 240 credits over a 24 month programme and undertake the following units:
- Professional Veterinary Nursing Responsibilities
- Diagnostic Principles
- Principles of Veterinary Nursing care 1
- Pharmacology and Dispensary Management
- Practical Veterinary Nursing Skills 1
- Anaesthesia and Theatre Nursing Skills
- Life Stage Nursing Care and Support
- Principles of Veterinary Nursing Care 2
- Surgical Nursing and Patient care 2
- Practical Veterinary Nursing Skills 2
You could progress to study an animal management/care, zoology, veterinary nursing or veterinarian related Higher Education course course at university or enrol on our FdSc in Animal Management and Welfare at Northumberland College.
Alternatively, you could progress to gain employment as a veterinary nurse in a vet practice.
Find out everything you need to know about Northumberland College and our exciting range of courses!Pre-register for our next open event
We are the largest further education provider in Northumberland with campuses throughout the county.
Our student transport scheme is available for eligible students to make getting to and from college as easy as possible.
Our extensive re-development programme will create outstanding new facilities.